In This Category
The City of New Castle has many projects in the works as of 2015. Listed below are all projects with a brief description.
- JENNINGS BUILDING The historical L.A. Jennings Building located in the heart of Downtown New Castle is currently in the process of being refurbished. Once completed, the location will feature four new restaurants and 20 apartments. On Broad Street between 14th Street to 15th Street, the City has demolished many of the deteriorating buildings to create a parking lot for the Jennings Building renovation.
- SAVOR INDIANA The City has signed a television program license agreement to produce an episode in New Castle Henry County, Indiana consisting of seven segments. Please click on the Savor Indiana website link to learn more. www.savorindiana.com
- EDA GRANT The City of New Castle along with the City of Muncie, City of Anderson, East Central Indiana Regional Planning District, Inc (ECIRPD), and the New Castle Henry County Economic Development Corporation (NCHCEDC) have jointly applied as co-applicants for a $150,000 U.S. Economic Development Administration Grant for developing an Economic Vision and Manufacturing Strategic Plan (aka "The Strategic Plan")
- ARA HOMEOWNER REPAIR AND IMPROVEMENT GRANT The City of New Castle has joined forces with ARA (Administrative Resources Association) out of Columbus Indiana to help secure grants for the community. Recently, a homeowner repair and improvement grant was presented to City Council for approval. It will be a $350,000 grant with a match from the City being 10%. Qualifications for the grant are being a homeowner in the City, over 55 years of age or disabled. Such improvements will include electric upgrades, heating/cooling, plumbing, roofs, windows, and doors, and other home modifications.
- FEDERAL HIGHWAY ADMINISTRATION (FHWA) TAP FUNDS The City of New Castle was recently awarded $199,350.00 in Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) TAP Funds from INDOT. This award will help construct sidewalks for the south side of Riley Road and the west side of South Main Street. The funds will be available for construction in the State's 2018 fiscal year.
- MAIN STREET GROUP A group consisting of local leaders and citizens whos mission is dedicated to renewing, growing, and promoting downtown New Castle by stimulating economic growth and fostering community pride while preserving our unique history. City Council recently approved funding for $24,000 in riverboat money to hire Vandewalle & Associates to help conduct a downtown action plan. This plan will help identify what actions/improvements the community can take to support the success of the Jennings project and other private investments downtown.
- BIKE PEDESTRIAN PLAN An advisory committee has been formed to create bicycle/pedestrian routes throughout the City of New Castle. Once finalized, the goal will be to connect the routes through our parks, schools, neighborhoods, and many business locations. This will better enhance the transportation for the citizens who are walking and bicycling.
- Appendix A of New Castle Bicycle & Pedestrian Plan
- Final plan
- NEW CASTLE CSO PROJECT The City of New Castle is in the process of constructing a new storm sewer for the north end of the city. In an agreement with the State of Indiana, we have a fifteen year plan-Our Long Term Control Plan (LTCP)-to reduce or eliminate overflows of sewage in the Big Blue River and its tributaries. The overflows are caused by too much water entering the combined sewer system when storms roll through. The city is building this new sewer to eliminate the storm water in the combined system and reduce the overflows. This is a large project starting west of N. 12th Street and continuing East through easements, Woodward Ave, N. 18th Street, and Spring Street ending at N. 26th Street. Once that area is completed, the next phase of this project will begin at Cherry Street to 11th Street.This project will take over a year to construct. The inconvenience to residents along this path during construction, will be frustrating at times, but is necessary to meet our commitments for the Long Term Control Plan. The City of New Castle will make every effort to minimize the problems for residents, but at times you can expect, among other things, dust, rough roads, heavy equipment, noise, and parking trouble. These conditions are unavoidable and we ask for patience and understanding while the construction is occurring. In the end the streets and affected yards will be returned to a nicer condition than before, and the environment will benefit from cleaner water.
- HOUSING ASSESSMENT MKM Architecture & Design has been commissioned by the City of New Castle to provide a comprehensive Housing Needs Analysis. They are focusing on our current housing stock, and demographic projections to determine our future housing needs. MKM will advise us on future housing needs and development strategies to enhance livability throughout the community.
- BLIGHT ELIMINATION PROGRAM (BEP) The City of New Castle with invaluable work of ICAP, recently secured funds from the Indiana Housing & Community Development Authority to facilitate the demolition of dilapidated houses in neighborhoods throughout the City and in to the County. This program is designed to eliminate the "worst of the worst" and return the property to productive use in the community. This will stabilize property values and enhance the quality of the affected neighborhoods.
- BOAR'S HEAD Construction is completed and they will be officially opening soon for production.
- HOUSING REPORTS
News & Notices
Published: Thursday, March 28, 2013
City of New Castle New Castle Community Transit Completes ARRA Funded Renovation The City of New Castle is please to announce that it has completed the renovation of the Transit Facility located at 201 South 25th Street, New Castle after a lon...